2.17.2010

ideas

I think all art captures the beauty in a moment and evokes very powerful emotions.
Music – a great song transcends the words, the notes, and the writer and takes the listener immediately to a place, a moment in time. Whether it is the memory of immense joy or immeasurable pain, the song brings back memories that are so fresh you can still smell the scent of the moment. Music can be the one thing that reminds us of hope, that the darkness is not the answer or be the one place where we find peace.
Painting and Drawing - this one is almost self-explanatory. I suppose the art is found in the person behind the brush or pencil as they are the ones that must choose the moment to capture and put onto paper or is it that the moment chooses the artist? We may never know the answer; however, there is one thing we do know – a great painting can either transport you back in time to the moment portrayed or leave you wondering what was going on behind the scenes in the picture.
Photography – this is one my personal favorites because a great photograph brings beauty to what may seem to be an everyday moment. It’s that moment when the little girl standing in the field of sunflowers peaks up over a sunflower or the moment when the groom sees his bride for the first time on their wedding day or that moment when old friends reunite after a lengthy separation. The beauty is in the moment just waiting to be captured.
Floral design – okay this may not seem like an art that captures the beauty in a moment; however, I challenge you to really think about how flowers are used to say something in many aspects of life. The wedding bouquet is one of the first things a bride thinks about – what flowers capture the essence of the bride’s personality along with her idea of what she wants her wedding to be like. Then there is the arrangement of flowers that rest on the casket of the deceased – the flowers that are the last thing a family can to do to say “I love you” and to honor the memory of their loved one.
Acting – a great actor or actress allows the audience to forget that the actor is a character and not really the person they are portraying, and a great film is one that transports you to a different world and allows you to experience emotions as though you are the one going through the events on screen.
I know there are so many other forms of art, and I in no way wish to diminish the beauty they capture. I am simply limited to my knowledge of these various art-forms, and a very smart woman once told to me to write about what you know about.
I am blessed with friends who possess an enormous amount of talent, and they inspire me to look for the beauty in all the moments, to be creative whenever possible, and to dare to express the beauty that we all possess. You see every artist and every piece of art is unique, and this is what is celebrated – the beauty in the difference.
You know I have always been the girl that sort of marched to my own drum as long as no one else knew about it. I wanted to blend in as much as possible when I was younger, but on the inside there was a rebel dying to get out. I didn’t want to be like everyone else, and I despise this idea that we all have some sort of cookie cutter mold we are to fit into. For me it is the finish college, complete the MRS. Degree, have the 2.2 children, the house, the car, and stay in the same place for the rest of my life. Not sure if you have noticed, I don’t fit that mold so well.
That is not what I want – I want an apartment downtown somewhere, single for a little while (something I have done for a while and I think I have mastered it… ), kids at some point, a business that I love and challenges me and allows creative expression, to move somewhere for a while, and a man that is not expecting me to be cookie cutter and loves me because of all my eccentricities (be warned they are numerous )!
I want to be unique.
I want to capture the beauty in a moment and evoke very powerful emotions. Be it love or hate. Just decide and stick to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment