1.17.2010

day one

Hey Buddy!
So this is my first blog and my first post. I want to do something that challenges me, and I just thought I would invite the world along for the ride. My church has issued a challenge for all of us that consists of four parts. It is based on Luke 2:52 which states (my paraphrase) that Jesus grew in wisdom, stature, and in favor with God and man. The challenge is that we make a conscious effort to grow the following four areas
1. Wisdom
2. Stature
3. Favor with God
4. Favor with Man
So this is what I propose. I want to take this challenge and I will write about it so that my crazy days will encourage you and maybe help you in some way. This may seem like a lot to do but the areas build on each other somewhat. This will last one year from today. This not really a check list kind of thing but a list of ideas and heart issues that must be dealt with.
So for wisdom, I am committing to do a bible study every semester (which includes the summer). As I am currently a grad student this will take extra effort for this naturally lazy procrastinator. In the area of stature, our entire church has been challenged to be more healthy physically. I don't know what would be a reasonable amount of weight for me to expect to lose in a given period of time; therefore I am committing to some type of exercise three times a week for at least 3o minutes each day. I am also committing to eat a healthier.
Third favor with God is one area that I am still leaning about. I will post more on this area later. Finally is favor with man. This is a church-wide challenge to find your area of ministry and to go on some type of mission this year. Well, this is actually the part I am really excited about. I help out with the youth group at our church, and pretty soon my sister and I will be hosting a college age small group at our house. I have a heart for college students, and I just want the college students at our church to have a place while they are in this time of transition. More details to come on this area as well! Also I am taking the mission challenge - I hope to go on a couple mission trips this year with the youth and also with the church as a whole. Also I want to find a mission close to home to devote some time to, and this may come out in the college group as we have several colleges nearby our hometown.
So this will be a year-long challenge for me, and I am setting goals that I desperately want to reach. Hopefully you will be along for the ride for the good times, the bad times, the crying times, and the times that are just too funny for words!

No comments:

Post a Comment