7.31.2012

I heart The Olympics!

Well, it's that time again - The Olympics are here!  I don't know about you, but I love the Olympics.  When I was a little girl, we always watched the Olympics - I very clearly remember watching the night in 1996 when Kerri Strug landed that vault.  I remember last year rooting for Michael Phelps to take home all 8 of those gold medals and holding my breath as he and the other relay team members touched the wall just in time to do just that.

So it goes without saying that I am a little excited about this year as we have another showdown - Ryan Lochte has made it his personal goal to go head-to-head with Michael Phelps and win.  I must admit I am addicted to this story - not sure if it is the underdog taking on the world part, the laid back guy who flips a competitive switch part, or the Ryan Lochte is beautiful part that has me constantly checking for updates.  Who knows?

There is something about the Olympics and Olympic athletes that are so inspiring to me.  The athletes did not  come to Earth with special powers or from some other planet - they are human beings - incredibly talented human beings but human beings nonetheless.  The difference is the amount of heart, discipline, work, and pain they pour into those God-given talents.  It is often through sports  that we are reminded that we can all have greatness inside of us - the question is are we willing to do what it takes to share that greatness with the world.  Ask any athlete, that is often times a painful process because you must be willing to work.

The verses that come to mind are from Paul in 1 Corinthians.  
 24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 
25 Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 
26 Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; 
27 but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.


I love that Paul encourages you to do your best - only one can receive the prize.  Mediocrity cannot win the prize, apathy does get you gold.  "Run in such a way that you may win" means you leave everything you have on the table.  At the end of my race, I want to know that I did my best, that I left everything I had on the table.  I cannot determine the results - I don't know if someone else's best will be better than mine, but I can be sure that I did my best.  That is what I pray for all the athletes - that they do their best and leave the rest up to the time clock.

As always, 

P.S. I am pretty sure you should watch this and read this!  

No comments:

Post a Comment