6.08.2012

lessons from preschool

So with the heaviness of the last post, I thought I would lighten things up a bit with a fun list.  Candace and I have been keeping a few children at our home just for some extra money during the summer, and I realized that I have brought home some of the things I learned while working in a preschool.  So I thought I would share with you all the things I learned from my 4 years experience in Preschools.

1.  So this one is very important so make sure you read carefully - band-aids solve all problems.  Anything and everything can be cured with these things especially the Hello Kitty, Angry Birds, and Muppets versions - I am sure it would even do wonders in the Middle East.
2.  Never underestimate the power of the eyes.  They may be young but they know the absolute perfect moment to look up at you with those big eyes that have just the right amount of tears in them especially if you have mentioned the words phone call and mama in the same sentence.
3.  Nap time is in the eye of the beholder.  To the child, the entire institution of nap time is a torture device that must be fought tooth and nail.  To the teacher, nap time is the best idea since coffee and is essential if you dare to sit down and eat your entire lunch at one time or get anything else accomplished for that matter.
4.  You can track the moon by their behavior - a full moon is occurring anytime that week and you might as well go ahead and  program your speed dial with those numbers you already know by heart, bring an extra thermos of coffee, and some chocolate - you will be needing the extra energy.  Items needed for the week, because it will be a week, include comfortable clothes, running shoes, hair off your face, and LOTS of band-aids.  Oh and pray it doesn't rain that week or you might want to invest in a good therapist!
5.  Going to the bathroom is a privilege and the bathroom is a sanctuary.  When you finally get to go, it is the one place where you can sit down, close your eyes, and not have to tell little Susie that we are friends with everybody or tell little Johnny that the classroom is not a training grounds for the 100 yd dash.
6.  My 8th grade English and Drama teacher says that middle school girls are the meanest girls you will ever encounter.  I completely agree with her, but I never knew that they begin that process the minute they enter K4.
7.  If we could harness half the energy encompassed in one 3 or 4 year old boy, we could solve the world's energy crisis.
8.  Last on this particular list, is that while you need the Energizer Bunny to keep up with these kids and you will repeat, "be sweet to your friends" a million times, these kids find their way into your heart especially when they crawl up in your lap or just randomly run up and hug your legs and say, "Ms. Micole(one of the names they call me), I love you!"

So obviously, this is not a comprehensive or complete list, but just some of the little things I have learned.  People always ask me if I have children, and I say during the school year I have 30-40 on a daily basis which is more than enough for me.  I get to love them, laugh with them, guide and teach them, and send them  home.  I love it!

Well I hope you have a great weekend!

Much Love,
Colie

No comments:

Post a Comment