6.07.2011

...But you excel them all

Papaw and Mamaw (Lester and Daisy Sharp)
So let me introduce you to my Mamaw - Daisy Sharp! She is my mother's mother, my father's mother-in-law, and our constant source of inspiration.  Almost a year ago she left this world, and our lives have never really been the same.  However, the trail she blazed during her 78 years is one that I go back to every day.  She, along with my Grandfather, were "green" before green was cool.  They reused and recycled almost everything they purchased.  They grew their own "organic" foods and canned or put extras in the freezer.  My grandmother made much of her and her children's clothing.  She crocheted, embroidered (by hand), and pretty much everything else you can think of.  I think she was the closest to the Proverbs 31 description of a Godly woman that I have ever met - a description she passed on to her daughter, my mother.  My mom and my Mamaw are the type of women that I aspire to be! 

27 She looks well to the ways of her household,
And does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children rise up and bless her;
Her husband also, and he praises her, saying:
29 “Many daughters have done nobly,
But you excel them all.”
30 Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain,
But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised. 
--Proverbs 31:27-30

The Beaty Girls!

Not only is it the things that she did for herself and her family but how she did them - she was never without style, grace, love and a seemingly effortless self-control.  She was so cute and stylish in everything she did.  After Mamaw's passing, I became more aware of what I occupied my time with and my attitude.  I wanted and continue to want to make her proud and to leave as excellent legacy as she did.  Also, I love doing things that make me feel closer to her or remind me of her such as baking or cooking for a group of people or wearing clothes she made or wore.  Papaw asked us to look through Mamaw's clothes to see if there was anything that we could wear, and my mom, my sister, and my aunt all found a few things we could wear for Easter.  The dress I found was one that I had loved since I first saw her wear it and I must admit I had a moment when I tried it on and it fit me.  I wore that dress and felt like a million white daisies (Beaty Girls' equivalent to a million dollars!)! 


Also, I love doing things that share Mamaw with the world - I don't want to be greedy and keep all of the wonderful things she taught us to ourselves.  So when Candace (my sister) and I got the opportunity to make jewelry and accessories, we jumped on it.  We chose the name "A Daisy A Day" because just like "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" then "A Daisy A Day" keeps sadness and bad fashion away. 

Also, Mamaw taught me how to do a simple crochet chain stitch, so I decided to take that a little further and learn how to make a flower.  Its something that when I get this flower down I can add to our accessories branch and something else that shares Mamaw with the world.
These are two of my favorite little flowers so far! There are more to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment